|| INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
BIMLA PRASAD CHALIHA CHAIR for WATER RESOURCES
Established by Ministry of Water Resources(MoWR), Govt. of India
|B.P.Chaliha Chair was involved in organizing following conferences related to Climate Change:
- A special session on Climate Change was organized in the international Conference Environmentally Sustainable Urban Ecosystems (ENSURE 2012) held at IIT Guwahati during 24th -26th Feb, 2012. B.P.Chaiha Chair professor was the Conference Chair for ENSURE 2012.
- “Climate Change and Water: Assessing vulnerability, impacts and adaptation in the Eastern Himalayan Region”, Organized by IIT Guwahati (January 3-5, 2011)
- “Brahmaputra River: Challenges and Opportunity for Progress and Prosperity”, Organized by Core Professional Group on Brahmaputra (CPGB) and IIT Guwahati (December 18-19, 2010). A special session on climate change was organized by the chair.
- Sarma A.K, “ Understanding the Dynamics of River”, Workshop on Skill and
Knowledge Building Training at Ginger Hotel, Guwahati, organized by
SaciWATERs, in collaboration with Centre for North East Studies and Policy
Research (C-NES), 13th-14th June, 2017
- Sarma A.K, “ Sustainable Approach of Rainwater Management and Application for Mitigating Adverse Impact of Climate Change”, Seminar on Impact on Climate Change in Tea and Ameliorative Measures, organized by Tea Board of India, Jorhat, 25th-26th March, 2017.
- Plenary talk by Sarma A.K on "Sustainable Approach of Rainwater Management and Application for Mitigating Climate Change Impact on Society", National Seminar on Climate Change and Society, organized by Dept. of Environmental Science, Tezpur University, 24th-25th February, 2017.
- Sarma A.K “Boon of Orienting Rainwater to Useful Niche (BORUN): A concept of Ecologically Sustainable Rainwater Harvesting”, 1 day workshop on the theme- “Rain Water Harvesting” organized by GMDA on 18th January,2017.
- Organised a workshop regarding improving water management for Tea industry considering the impact of climate change by B.P Chaliha Chair at Golaghat (June,2016)
- Jointly organised a workshop with Tea Board regarding water management for tea industry considering the impact of climate change (Feb, 2016)
- One day Capacity Building Programme on Fundamentals of Hydraulics and River Engineering, Organised by Prof. Arup Kumar Sarma (2015)
- To bring awareness on need of implementing Ecological Management Practices (EMPs) for mitigating flood and other water related hazard of hilly urban areas, B.P.Chaliha Chair with funding from ministry of urban development organized a stakeholder workshop on Managing Hilly Urban Watershed with Ecological Management Practices for the concerned administrators and officials of government department and related NGOs. This workshop was organized in association with Assam State Disaster Management Authority (January 2014).
- “DST-brain storming workshop on Research Need in Hydrology and Water Resources for India”, Organized by the Chair with support of DST. (17th to 18th July 2014)
- To get support of tea industry in the form of sharing their climatic data and to provide technical support to tea industry for improving water management considering impact of climate change, a series of workshops were organized on the main theme of Climate Change and Need of Data Collection by B.P.Chaliha Chair at Golaghat District and Dibrugarh District and Tinsukia District in collaboration with NETA (North-East Tea Association) and other tea organization. Executive Director of Tea Board of India Chaired that workshop at Golaghat and other tea organizations like ABITA, TAI, ATPA and Bharotia Chah Parishad were also participated in the workshops.(2012-2013)
- To bring awareness on the issue of climate change, B.P.Chaliha Chair participated in different workshops organized by different organizations and presented technical paper as well as popular lecture on impact of climate change on water resources.
|Following are some of such lectures delivered:
- The Chair was also invited at Girijananda Chowdhury Institute of Management and Technology for a popular talk where he communicated with the students and faculties on the topic of Hydraulic Model and their Application in River Modelling.
- The Chair delivered a lecture on Application of Geoinformatics in Water Resources Management in the National Conference on Environmental Remote Sensing, organized by Don Bosco University on 13th December, 2016.
- Popularization of Impact of Climate Change on Water Resources: Issues and Mitigation measures, organized by Assam Educational Centre, Jorhat on 25th September, 2016.
- Ecological Management Practice for Managing Hilly Urban watershed: Guest lecture Delivered in the Annual Convention of the Indian Institute of Architects, Assam Centre 09th August 2014.
- Uncertainty Analysis in Flood Management: Invited paper presented in the workshop on Design Flood Issues organized by CWC, Govt. of India, Nov, 2014.
- Flood Hazard Mitigation of Urban Area Through Ecological Management Practices (EMPs): Jadavpur University, Kolkata, WB, 6th Sept 2014,
- Water Resources Development and Management in India: Need Scope and Constraints: in the UGC Academic Staff College Sponsored Refresher Course on “Recent Applications of Water Resources Development & Management” organized by School of Water Resources Engineering, Jadavpur University. 6th Sept 2014.
- Holistic Approach for Mitigating Flood Hazard of Guwahati City, Invited talk delivered in the annual convention of Association of Civil Engineers, Assam State Electricity Board, Guwahati 12th Sept 2014
- Mitigating Flood and Erosion Hazard of Brahmaputra Basin Through Holistic Approach of Water Resources Development and management, Invited lecture in the seminar organized by Assam Forum of Great Britain(AFGB), London, 15th Sept 2014 (Over Skype)
- Managing Hilly Urban Watershed with Ecological Management Practices for Mitigating Flood and Erosion Hazard: In the stakeholder workshop organised by State Disaster Management Authority and IIT Guwahati, Guwahati, 2013
- Climate Change and Anthropogenic Impacts on Water Related Disaster: In the national workshop organized by RGG institute, Meerut, 2013
- Optimal Ecological Management Practices for Managing Hilly Urban Watershed Considering Climate Change, 8th Annual International Conference on Public Policy and Management organized by IIM Banglore 13-14 Aug 2013
- Technology for Our Society: Engineer’s Responsibility: Delivered lecture as speaker of the day in the Engineers’ day celebration organized by Federation of Engineering Service Associations of Assam (FEDASA), the umbrella organization of the engineers of the engineering departments of the Assam. Issue of climate change was specially highlighted in the lecture, Morigaon, Assam, 15th Sept 2013
- Impact of Climate Change on Precipitation, its Impact on Flood Hazard of Guwahati City and Mitigation Strategy: Prof. Abdur Rohim memorial lecture organized by Guwahati College on the occasion of environment day, Guwahati, 2013
- Remote Sensing and GIS application in Natural Resources Management: in the faculty development programme organized at NERIST, Arunachal Pradesh 14th May 2012
- Climate Change Impact on Soil and Water: in the workshop of National Children Science Congress, North Lakhimpur, Assam, 2012
- Climate Change Impact on Agriculture and Water: in the workshop organized at Assam Agricultural University, Jorhat, 2012
- Impact of Climate Change on Water Resources: Some Mitigation Strategies: Invited Talk delivered in the D.K.D College, Golaghat, Assam, 2012
- Need of Water Conservation Considering Climate Change Scenario: in the workshop organized by Oil India Limited, Digboi, 2012
- Water Related Problems of Tea Gardens and their Mitigation Strategy Considering Climate Change: in the workshop organized in collaboration with tea organization, Golaghat, 2011
- Structural and Non-structural Measures to Mitigate Flood Hazard Considering Climate Change Scenario: in the workshop organized by Assam State Disaster Management Authority, Guwahati, 2011
- Mathematical Modelling of Brahmaputra River with Emphasis on Climate Change: in the workshop organized by CPGB, Guwahati 2011