MITACS – Canadian Indian Student Mobility Program
Knowledge Incubation for TEQIP - IITG under MHRD - TEQIP III
IITG is pleased to announce that the visiting Canadian Indian Students Mobility program (MITACS, a flagship program of Govt of India under TEQIP) to promote research and development activities among students from focus states is to be continued in TEQIP-III as well.
This exchange program, funded under TEQIP, is administered & coordinated by KIT-CET and by Dean AAER's office at IITG. Four components under MITACS programme are:
- GRI - Globalink Research Internships (GRI) – for undergraduate Indian students at a university in Canada
- GRA - Gradate Research Awards – For senior undergraduate and graduate research at project IITs
- Multidisciplinary Research Projects for focus states by forming trilateral partnerships between IITs, TEQIP institutions and Canadian universities.
- Capacity Building Enhancement for students from TEQIP institutions and IITs
Graduate Research Awards (GRA):
- Around 67 Canadian Students each year over two years will be deputed to India and attached to the select IITs.
- Senior undergraduate and graduate students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents and enrolled full time at Canadian universities are eligible to apply at IITs.
- Canadian Students will travel to India to undertake advance research projects for a minimum of 12 weeks and maximum of 24 weeks. It is the responsibility of the students and/or professors to find research projects and a host faculty supervisor in their academic discipline in India.
- Full cost per student is estimated to be $10,000 CAD per student and will be shared between MITACS ($5000 CAD) and MHRD ($5000 CAD).
- MHRD funding to IITs of $5000 CAD per student will be for accommodation, meals, expenses related to providing secure and comfortable environment and costs directly related to the research conducted by the Canadian Students.
Multidisciplinary Research Projects:
For focus states (forming trilateral partnerships between IITs, TEQIP institutions and Canadian universities)
- Collaborative multidisciplinary teams of Indian students from focus states & Canadian students will be formed in identified areas of research projects related to development of focus states. The team shall work for research under guidance of IITs.
- The cost per Canadian student: CAD 10,000 (shared between MITACS & MHRD)
- The cost per Indian students from focus states project institutions: Nil
Capacity Building Enhancement for students from TEQIP institutions and IITs
- To strengthen the research coordination capacity of TEQIP institutions, IIT and participating institute each will identify one faculty (student) per multi-disciplinary project who will participate in capacity building activities online and in Canada.
- Total duration of stay at Canada will be 4 weeks and the duration of the whole program is 8 weeks.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will present an action plan for the year (capacity building plan at home institutions).
Canadian students can explore IITG's main website for departments and other information on the link www.iitg.ac.in
Contact Details for Canadian Students and Faculty
Pre selection Contact Information
Prof. Sunil Khijwania
PI, TEQIP & Coordinator, KIT
Centre for Educational Technology
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
Post Selection Contact Information
Canadian students who are finally selected under the MITACS Exchange program are requested to report at CET and contact the office of the Dean Alumni affairs & External Relations for all issues / information regarding visa, travel requirements, Hostels assistance upon arrival and any other information related to their stay at IITG Campus.
Prof. Ravi Mokashi Punekar
Phone : +91-361 2582183/2602
Email : doaaer[at*]iitg.ernet.in
Webpage : http://www.iitg.ac.in/scm
Phone: +91-361 2582181
Office of External Relations
Phone : +91-361-258-2182
Fax: +91-361-269 0762
Alumni Affairs & External Relations
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
Guwahati 781 039, India