About PI - Dr. Cota Navin Gupta
Dr.Navin Gupta is currently an Assistant Professor with the Department of Biosciences and Bioengineering, IIT Guwahati working in the areas of brain computer interfaces,imaging genetics for psychiatric disorders, multimodal/multivariate algorithm development and designing wearable medical solutions for patient mobility. He completed his Postdoctoral learning in the area of schizophrenia imaging genetics on a joint National Institute of Health (NIH) grant between Mind Research Network, USA and Georgia State University, USA publishing in numerous high impact journals. Previously he obtained his PhD from Brain Computer Interfaces and Neural Engineering (BCI-NE) Group, University of Essex fully funded by the competitive Overseas Research Student (ORS) award for international students and University of Essex scholarships. His PhD work involved designing an offline P300 BCI system. During his doctoral work he also explored integrating electroencephalogram and near infrared spectroscopy modalities for cognitive applications.
EducationUniversity of Essex, United Kingdom (Ph.d) Brain Computer Interfaces-Neural Engineering Group, Thesis: Advancing the P300 based Brain Computer Interface Design. http://essexbcis.uk/main/other/former-members/ Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (M.S) Telemedicine and Informatics Group, Biomedical Engineering Research Centre Thesis: Algorithm development for Heart Sound Analysis. http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/bmerc/contents/index.htm University of Madras, India (B.Eng) Electronics and Communication Engineering Thesis:Median Filters for Image processing using Matlab
Research/Work ExperienceAssistant Professor (Jan 2017 onwards) Department of Biosciences and Bioengineering (BSBE) Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, India
- Co-ordinator for undergrad curriculum revision (Neuroscience and Neural Image/Signal Systems).
- Setting up a small laboratory to work on the areas of Imaging Genetics for psychiatric disorders and wearable medical devices for patient monitoring.
- Learnt imaging genetics for psychiatry. Implemented multivariate and multimodal frameworks for imaging/imaging genetic datasets using GIFT, FIT and SPM toolboxes.Worked extensively on VBM, SBM (i.e. ICA) and parallel ICA.
- Development of techniques for complex data analytics (Biclustered ICA).
- Continued my Phd research track of using electroencephagram/brain computer interfaces (EEG-BCI) to study visuospatial attention and neural responses to natural stimuli.
- Help evaluate and buy electroencephalogram(EEG) equipment; prepared ethics approval forms.
- Sleep EEG analysis (Autoregressive and Coherence Analysis) from a low power perspective.
- Gupta, C. N., Turner, J. A., & Calhoun, V. D. (2018). Source-Based Morphometry: Data-Driven Multivariate Analysis of Structural Brain Imaging Data. In Brain Morphometry (pp. 105-120). Humana Press, New York, NY.
- C. N. Gupta and R. Palaniappan, “Using high-frequency electroencephalogram in visual and auditory-based brain-computer interface designs,” EContact! 14.3 " Biotechnological Performance Practice, Canadian Electroacoustic Society, June 2012.
- C.N.Gupta and R.Palaniappan “Concerns on global security: moving towards fool-proof authentication system using brain signals” IEEE Gold, July issue, 2009.
- Member, Organizing Committee for Computational Modeling and Simulation for Bioengineering Applications, June 2018 held at IIT Guwahati.
- Session Co-Chair, Medical diagnostics and Therapeutics for The 12th National Frontiers Conference held at IIT Guwahati. Link Here(Accessed finally on April, 2019)
- Member, Organizing Committee for “National Workshop on Fluorescence and Raman Spectroscopy” Dec, 2017, IIT Guwahati.
- Member, Organizing Committee for “Schizophrenia Classification Challenge” IEEE MLSP Data Competition, 2014 on Kaggle website.
- Fully funded for “MRN fMRI Image Acquisition and Analysis Course” at University of Colorado Boulder, March 2012. Hosted by Profs: Kent Kiehl, Tor Wager, and Vince Calhoun.
- Recipient of United Kingdom’s prestigious “Overseas Research Scholarship (ORS)” and “University of Essex Fellowship” for Doctoral Program.
- Recipient of the “Neuroscience 2008 Travel award” and the “Guarantors of Brain Travel Grant” to attend the Neuroscience conference 2008, Tokyo, Japan.
- Awarded the “Robert Skills research conference fund” at University of Essex to attend the 4th International Brain Computer Interface Workshop and Training course 2008 in Graz, Austria.
- Selected to attend “Sense about Science VoYS workshop” to develop communication and understanding between early career scientists and media at Institute of Physics, London held on 30th May 2008.
- One of the sixty-four students selected from all over the world to attend Enterprisers 2007 an intensive four-day residential entrepreneurial program conducted by the “Cambridge Judge Business School” and “MIT Sloan School of Management”.
- TEQIP Talks about ongoing work at the Neural Engineering Lab was presented at Workshop on Medical Devices and Rehabilitation Engineering 2019 & TEQIP-III Sponsored Short Term Course on Fundamentals of Robotics and Artificial Intelligence 2019, both held at IIT Guwahati.
- Invited Session Talk, Annual Meet of Indian Academy of Neuroscience, Ravenshaw University, Cuttack Oct 2017.
- Invited Talk and Hands on Summer School in Neuroimaging, IIIT Hyderabad, July 2017.Link Here(Accessed finally on April 2019)
- (Invited Talk) Dept of EEE, IIT Guwahati, India-"Multivariate Methods for fusion of Multimodal Imaging and Genetic Datasets in Schizophrenia", 2017
- Dept of Biotechnology, IIT Madras, India : "Need for Imaging Genetics in Psychiatry", 2016
- Center for Behavioural and Cognitive Sciences, Allahabad, India : "Multivariate Methods for fusion of Multimodal Imaging and Genetic Data in Schizophrenia", 2016. http://cbcs.ac.in/events/lectures/
- Talk for PostDoc position at The University of Texas Health Science Center, USA- "Advancing the P300 based BCI Design", Oct 2011. (However accepted joint NIH Postdoc position @ MRN-GSU, USA)
- PhD work selected for presentation at "The Third Annual British Computer Society (BCS) East Anglian PhD Competition, United Kingdom", Feb 2009. http://www.essex.ac.uk/csee/news_and_seminars/newsEvent.aspx?e_id=5684 (Accessed finally on April 2017)
- Master's thesis work presented at "Young Person's Lecture Competition", Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 2005.