CONCEPT NOTEThe Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati is going to organize a two-week Capacity Building Programme on Research Methodology as a new orientation for the benefit of University as well as College faculty members in Humanities and Social Sciences during March 7-18, 2018. The objective of the course is to develop research capabilities among young faculty and turn completed research into publishable material in the form of journal articles/books. Specifically, the objectives will be to:
- Develop capacity for conceptualising and writing research proposals.
- Enhance skills to prepare an appropriate research design, including conducting an overview of literature, formulating research questions and hypotheses, collection of information and analysis
- Enhance level of competency for writing a research paper/review of books for publication.
- Develop the capacity for planning and writing a book.
- Human Resource Development: The process of equipping individuals with the understanding, skills and access to information, knowledge and training that enables them to perform effectively.
- Organizational Development: The elaboration of management structures, processes and procedures, not only within organizations, but also the management of relationships between the different organizations and sectors (public, private and community)
- Institutional and Legal Framework Development: Making legal and regulatory changes to enable organizations, institutions and agencies at all levels and in all sectors to enhance their capacities
WHY IS CAPACITY BUILDING NEEDED?
- The link between needs and supply is weak.
- There is a lack of realistic funding.
- There is a need for support for change.
- Training institutions are isolated - communications are poor.
- Development of teaching materials is inefficient.
- Alternative ways of capacity building are not adequately recognized.
- Research interaction and experience sharing
- Case Method
- Laboratory work
- Field Study
Broad overview of course modules
- Fundamentals of Research
- Ethics of Research
- Research Design
- Research Tools and Techniques
- Methodology used in Management and Social Science Research
- Analysis of Qualitative and Quantitative Data
- Formulating the Research Proposal for Seminar/Workshop
Academic writing like papers for journals, reviewing and writing books and project reports (Actual papers/outlines will be taken-up for discussion) :
- Research Proposal: Main elements; keywords, identifying and presentation of issues/topic/problems to be studied, Presenting a hypothesis, tools for data collection and analysis
- Publication Process: Journals-submission, review, revision; Books-manuscript presentation, review, editing, dealing with rejection, importance of revision (Review Reports, Response sheets), Papers/Books-Criteria for selection of chapter/paper, Process-Acceptance to Publication (revision, editing, proofing, printing) etc
- Paper Clinic: The idea in the Paper Clinic is to give the participants an opportunity to demonstrate what they have been exposed to in the previous 10 days by working with an actual paper/outline; this is a crucial element of the course and both the course directors and participants must give this module careful attention. The basic aim behind it is to teach the participants how to make proposal and handle over it
TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATIONOutstation participants will be paid TA & DA (as per the institute rules), and board and lodging will be provided at free of cost.
|Rajdhani Express||Delhi, Lucknow|
|North East Express||Delhi, Kanpur, Allahabad, Patna|
|Brahmaputra Mail||Delhi, Aligarh, Kanpur, Allahabad, Patna|
|Avadh Assam Express||Delhi, Lucknow, Muzaffarpur|
|Kamrup Express||Kolkata, Malda Town, New Jalpaiguri|
|Kanchanjunga Express||Kolkata, Barddhaman, Rampurhat|
|Saraighat Express||Kolkata, Barddhaman, Malda Town|
|Dadar Express||Mumbai, Manmad, Katni, Mughalsarai, Patna|
|Cochin Express||Cochin, Coimbatore, Chennai, Cuttack, Howrah|
|Trivandrum Express||Thiruvananthapuram, Trichur, Chennai, Visakhapatnam, Bhubaneshwar, Howrah|
|Bangalore Express||Bangalore, Viziangaram, Cuttack, Kharagpur, Howrah|
All correspondence shall be made to:
Dr. Sambit Mallick / Dr. Ngamjahao Kipgen
Capacity Building Programme for Faculty Members in Social Sciences (CB 2018)
Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati Guwahati 781039, Assam
Tel: +91-361-2582566 (O) / +91-9957564137 (M)
For more information, kindly visit IIT Guwahati website: http://www.iitg.ac.in/hss