Subaltern history and literature; culture: identity and tradition; social stratification: caste, class and gender; knowledge: discourse, power and representation; reform and intervention: Phule, Gandhi and Ambedkar; social change and conflict: empowerment and political representation; Dalit and gender movements: affirmative action and social transformation; subaltern voices: speech, agency and representation; subaltern literature: issues of language and performance, aesthetics and rhetoric of protest; selected readings in English and in English translation.
1. D.R.Nagaraj, The Flaming Feet: A Study of the Dalit Movement, South Forum Press, Bangalore, 1993.
2. Manu Bhagavan and Anne Feldhaus(ed.)Speaking Truth to Power : Religion, Caste and the Subaltern Question in India, OUP, New Delhi, 2008
1. Ranjit Guha (ed.), Subaltern Studies: Writings on South Asian History and Society, OUP, New Delhi, 1982
2. Cary Nelson and Lawrence Grossberg eds. Marxism and the Interpretation of Culture, University of Illionois Press, 1987.
3. Vinayak Chaturvedi (ed.), Mapping Subaltern Studies and the Postcolonial, Verso, London, 2000