Lab Development Activities:
a) Experimental facilities developed:
- Metal hydride based hydrogen energy storage experimental set up (MNRE sponsored Project).
- Metal hydride based thermal energy storage experimental set up (DST
- Experimental set up for testing the performance of porous burners
for LPG and Kerosene cooking stoves (PCRA and IMPRINT sponsored
- Experimental set ups for single and double – stage heat transformers
and hydrogen compressors.
- Experimental set ups for sensible and latent heat storage systems
(Solar Pan IIT Project -I).
- Experimental set up for high temperature thermos-checmial based heat
storage system (SERB and Solar Pan IIT Project -II).
- Experimental set up for high temperature thermos-chemical heat
storage system (DST Project).
- Experimental test facilities for solar dryer and solar hybrid dryer
for drying agricultural products.
- Experimental test facility for compressor driven metal based cooling
system (IMPRINT Project).
- Experimental set up for metal hydride based hydrogen purification
system (NTPC project).
- Experimental set up for liquid desiccant based air-conditioning
system (IITG sponsored project).
b) Lab developments
Several instruments / equipment’s were procured from various
sponsored research projects for developing the Thermal Science Lab,
IIT Guwahati. The following experimental test ups were procured for
Thermal Science Lab, IIT Guwahati
- Vapour compression refrigeration test rig
- Convection heat transfer test rig
- Cooling tower test rig
- Heat Exchanger test rig
- Boiling test rig
- Pressure and temperature sensors calibration tests
- Set ups for measuring thermal conductivities of metal bar, insulating powder, packed bed and liquids.