Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
Welcome to Ergonomics Laboratory, IIT Guwahati
Awards & Achievements
Welcome to the website of the Ergonomics laboratory at the Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IITG), India. This laboratory is under the Department of Design (DoD), which is one of the thirteen departments at IITG which was set up with a vision to inspire and motivate some of the brightest technical minds of the country who have a passion for innovation in technology driven by a firm understanding, appreciation, and celebration of design. The department offers an M. Des. degree, a B. Des. degree (the only undergraduate level degree of its kind in an Indian Institute of Technology) and a Ph.D. degree in Design. The focus of the program is on the study, invention, and creative use of technologies to create effective, usable, enjoyable experiences with technology through interdisciplinary research in engineering, design, behavioral and social sciences, and to understand the impact of technology on individuals, groups, and organizations. The department envisions to produce successful graduates who will be capable of leading the changing scenarios of today and tomorrow through thought, innovation, and values. This institute is situated in North Guwahati, Assam, on the north bank of the river Brahmaputra amidst breathtaking natural beauty and serenity. The full-fledged campus sprawls over two hundred and eighty-three hectares of gently undulating terrain with several hillocks covered with lush green vegetation, a few lakes and a panoramic view of the mighty river on one side and a ring of blue hills on the other. The institute is conveniently accessible from all the transport hubs from the Guwahati city.
Center for Ergonomics: User centered Design and Occupational Wellbeing
With the intention of extending facilities available in Ergonomics Laboratory, Department of Design and disseminate expertise possessed by the associated members (faculties, staffs, research scholars and project assistances), a Centre of Excellence was proposed as ‘Center for Ergonomics: User centered Design and Occupational Wellbeing’ which was approved by Board of Governor, IIT Guwahati (75th BOG, Dt.26.09.2013).
As various initiative activities the ‘Center for Ergonomics: User centered Design and Occupational Wellbeing’ has already conducted following events as follows.
- Mr. C. Vigneshkumar - Invited as 'Visiting Scholar' to Tallinn University of Technology, Tallinn to explorer research topic "Design for construction workers safety".
- Ms. Shilpi Bora - Invited as 'Visiting Researcher' to Shantou University, China to deliver seminar and explore research topic “Ergonomics design interventions”.
- Mr. Amare Wibneh Mengistu - Best Poster Award (Departmental Category) at Research Conclave 2017 organized by Students' Academic Board (SAB), IIT Guwahati, Assam, India.
- Mr. Indresh Kumar Verma - Winner of Design Competition of Calender 2018 of IIT Guwahati, organized by Public Relations Office, IIT Guwahati, Assam, India.
- Mr. Indresh Kumar Verma - Winner of Design Competition of Calender 2017 of IIT Guwahati, organized by Public Relations Office, IIT Guwahati, Assam, India.
- Mr. Anirban Chowdhury was awarded Prof. Sacchidananda Banerjee Memorial Young Scientist Award, by The Physiological Society of India during PHYSICON 2014.
- Ms. Sangeeta Pandit was awarded as most distinguished papers presented in International Conference on Research into Design (ICORD'15), at IISc Banglore.
Ergonomics laboratory at Department of Design, IIT Guwahati was set-up in 1999 under leadership Prof. Debkumar Chakrabarti. This is a well-equipped laboratory with various basic and applied research facilities for both physical and cognitive ergonomics. Apart from equipment for traditional ergonomics evaluation, modern sophisticated equipment are available for virtual ergonomics evaluation and cognitive workload study. Four (04) faculty members (Prof. D. Chakrabarti, Dr. S. karmakar, Dr. S. Pal and Dr. U.R. Salve) and 10 PhD students are currently associated with this laboratory.
Facilities include :
• Anthropometric measurement kit
• Equipment/ tools for biomechanical analysis
• Kit for environmental variable measurement
• Tools/equipment for cognitive workload analysis
• Digital human modeling software for virtual ergonomics evaluation
• Eye-tracker for visual attention analysis
• Equipment for physiological variable analysis (ECG, EMG, EEG etc.)
Department of Design (DoD)
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
Guwahati 781039, Assam; India
+91 361 258 2497
Site Designed & Maintained by Indresh Kumar Verma