|Course Code: CS535|
Course Name: Hardware Security
Prerequisites: Computer Architecture Course at UG level (CS223 or equivalent)
Mathematical foundations for cryptography: public and private key cryptography, elliptic curve cryptography; introduction to embedded systems security. Hardware Security Primitives: cryptographic hardware and their implementation; Physically Unclonable Functions, implementations, quality evaluation. Side-channel Attacks: side channel attacks on control units, functional units, caches and interconnects; design techniques to prevent side-channel attacks. Hardware trojans: nomenclature and operating modes, behavioral aspects, performance issues; countermeasures; design and manufacturing techniques to prevent and detect hardware trojans. Secure digital design and manufacturing practices: Hardware Intellectual Property (IP) piracy and IC Piracy, design techniques to prevent IP and IC piracy. Micro-architectural and SoC level attacks and countermeasures: Secure design of multicore processors, caches, Network-on-Chip, I/O ports and interfaces. Case studies: analysis and implementation of recent hardware security papers from top conferences and journals.
1. Ahmad-Reza Sadeghi and David Naccache, "Towards Hardware-intrinsic Security: Theory and Practice", Springer, 2010.
2. D. Mukhopadhyay and R. S. Chakraborty, "Hardware Security: Design, Threats and Safeguards", CRC Press, 2015.
3. Lawrence C. Washington, "Elliptic Curves- Number Theory and Cryptography", ? Chapman and Hall/CRC., Second edition, 2008
4. Mark Joye and Michael Tunstall, "Fault Analysis in Cryptography", Springer, Second edition, 2012
5. Swarup Bhunia, Sandip Ray, Susmita Sur-Kolay, "Fundamentals of IP and SoC Security: Design Verification, and Debug", Springer, 2017
6. Douglas R. Stinson and Maura B. Paterson, "Cryptography: Theory and Practice", Fourth Edition, CRC Press., 2017
7. Colin O'Flynn and Jasper van Woudenberg, "The Hardware Hacking Handbook: Breaking Embedded Security with Hardware Attacks", No Starch Press, 2022
8. Prabhat Mishra, Subodha Charles, "Network-on-Chip Security and Privacy", Springer, 2021