|Course Code: CS221|
Course Name: Digital Design
Syllabus: Review of Boolean algebra and logic minimisation; design of combinational logic blocks (MUX, DeMUX, encoder, decoder, adders, multipliers, etc.); design using combinational logic blocks; sequential circuit design: flip-flops, FSM, registers, counters, state tables and diagrams, state minimization, excitation functions of memory elements, synthesis of synchronous sequential circuits; representation and synthesis using ASM charts; specification and synthesis of asynchronous sequential machines; basics of FPGA architecture; progamming using HDLs.
Texts: 1. R. H. Katz and G. Borriello, Contemporary Logic Design, 2nd Ed., Prentice Hall of India, 2004.
2. M. M. Mano and M. D. Ciletti, Digital Design, 4th Ed., Pearson Education.
References: 1. Z. Kohavi and N. Jha, Switching and Finite Automata Theory, 3rd Ed., Cambridge University Press, 2010.
2. S. C. Lee, Digital Circuits and Logic Design, Prentice Hall of India, 2006.
3. J. F. Wakerly, Digital Design Principles and Practices, 4th Ed., Prentice Hall of India, 2008.
4. F. Vahid, Digital Design, 1st Ed., Wiley India, 2011.
5. S. Palnitkar, Verilog HDL: A Guide to Digital Design and Synthesis,Pearson, 2nd Ed, 2003.
6. A VHDL Primer, PHI Learning, 3rd Ed, 2009.