Admission to PhD Programme under Project Category
Online applications are invited for eligible candidates for PhD admissions for session starting from January 2020 under project mode category.
Admitted students will be funded through sponsored research projects of IIT Guwahati. The students will work under the supervision of Principal Investigator (PI)/Co-Investigator (Co-PI) of the projects for their PhD theses. The students will not do teaching assistance duties; rather they will be working for the projects.
Hence, the candidates will be asked to give the preferences for the projects while submitting the applications.
For January 2020, the Departments, viz., Civil Engineering (CE), Computer Science and Engineering (CSE), Design (DD), Electronics and Electrical Engineering (EEE), and Mechanical Engineering (ME), will take PhD students under DST sponsored National Mission on Interdisciplinary Cyber-Physical Systems (NMICPS mission) project on Technologies for Underwater Exploration.
Candidates with relevant background in the above mentioned disciplines having interest in the fields of robotics, artificial intelligence, computer vision, control system, underwater manufacturing, etc. may apply for PhD programme.
Project titles and the supervisors names are provided. Candidates may see the information and give department wise preferences. For more details of the projects, candidates are required to contact the supervisors directly.
Applications are to be submitted online. If you are applying to more than one Department, it can be done with the same registration. But you need to pay application fee separately for each Department. Before applying, please carefully go through information given in each of the following links.
Admission Results NEW
Application Process Start Date: 17 November, 2020 (2:00 PM)
Application Process End Date: 1 December, 2020 (05:00 PM)
Instruction to applicants
Other Information/ Instructions
- Validity of OBC-NCL Certificate: The OBC-NCL certificates uploaded/ submitted by the OBC-NCL candidates must be issued on or after April 01, 2020. Any OBC-NCL certificate issued before April 01, 2020 is treated as invalid. If applicant does not have a valid certificate, an old certificate along with the declaration should be uploaded. The valid certificate (issued on or after April 01, 2020) should be submitted by January 31, 2021.
- Validity of Income & Asset Certificate for EWS: To avail benefit of reservation under the Economically Weaker Section (EWS), the candidates should upload/ submit a copy of Income and Asset Certificate (of last financial year) issued on or after April 01, 2020. Any Income and Asset certificate issued before April 01, 2020 is treated as invalid. If applicant does not have a valid certificate, an old certificate along with the declaration should be uploaded. The valid certificate (issued on or after April 01, 2020) should be submitted by January 31, 2021.
- Reimbursement of Travel Fare by Train: For attending PhD interview, the Regular Category candidates shall be provided reimbursement of travel expenses at the rate of to-and-fro sleeper class railway fare or equivalent (as per IIT Guwahati's travel reimbursement rules). Not applicable as all the interviews are to be held online because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Limiting Number of Candidates for the Selection Process: The Institute reserves the right to call a limited number of candidates for written test and/or interview/ portfolio review, if required, based on performance in GATE/ NET/ CEED/ INSPIRE, grades/ marks in the qualifying degree examination, etc.
- Candidates who are in Final Semester of Qualifying Degree: Candidates still to appear in their qualifying degree examinations may also apply, provided they appear in all their qualifying degree examinations and complete all requirements for their degrees before 15-12-2020 (to be revised looking at the situation resulted out of the COVID-19 pandemic). If selected, such candidates shall be admitted provisionally, and they will have to furnish the results of their qualifying degree examinations latest by 31-01-2021 (to be revised looking at the situation resulted out of the COVID-19 pandemic). Further, they must fulfill the minimum requirements of marks/CPI, and other conditions like valid GATE score/CEED score/NET or INSPIRE certificate (as may be applicable) etc., as mentioned under eligibility criteria for respective programmes. Failure to fulfill any of these requirements, shall automatically result in cancellation of admission.
- Cautionary Note: The above information is not the complete set of Rules & Regulations for the PhD programmes of IIT Guwahati. Mere fulfilment of educational qualification and other essential requirements do not entitle a candidate for getting a seat in the PhD programme. The Institute reserves the right not to fill a particular seat if suitable candidate is not found.
- Medical Insurance: Students of IIT Guwahati are covered under the Group Medical Insurance Scheme (GMIS) up to a maximum limit of rupees one lakh only. Claims under GMIS will be applicable for new students with effect from January, 2021(tentative) only.
- Legal Jurisdiction: The Courts at Guwahati alone shall have the jurisdiction to settle and decide all matters and disputes related to the above referred admission process.
Joint Registrar (Academic Affairs)
Academic Affairs Section
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati