The Department of Computer Science and Engineering facilitates students and researchers who share a passion for science and engineering. The department presently has seven state-of-the-art research laboratories, viz. Robotics Lab, Speech Lab, IDS Lab, ISEA Lab, VLSI Lab, Aakash Lab, RTDLS Lab; three UG Labs, two PG Labs and two Research Scholar Labs which are available 24×7 to students. All the Laboratories are connected to the Gigabit Network of the department which in turn is connected to the Institute 10 Gigabit Network on optical fibre. Central Air conditioning and UPS power are made available to the entire department. Students are provided with individual work-spaces and computers consisting of Intel i5, i3, Pentium 4 or AMD Phenon processors.
The department regularly upgrades these computers to stay abreast with the latest available technologies. The department also houses its very own server room, consisting of a mix of Intel Xeon and AMD Opteron based high end rack servers, which aims to provide uninterrupted File & Application Services to its researchers through a High Availability implementation on these servers.
The High Availability is setup using Redhat Enterprise Linux as the Operating System on a hardware of Intel Xeon Processors with 8GB RAM per Node. Terabyte storage capacity Central Storage is chosen to accommodate the departmental storage space requirements which is accessible via a File Server Cluster running Redhat Cluster Suite and the department’s Central Authentication mechanism using the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol(LDAP). Additionally, the department also has four Intel Xeon 16 Core, 32GB RAM high end servers which are available for research requiring high end computational power.
There is a local repository mirror server (maintained by the students of the department as well as the department itself) for Ubuntu and Fedora Linux and other required software to provide the most recent updates to end users of the department. Nearly every contemporary software and developing platforms are made available here to the department students, so that they get exposure to these tools and be at par with the fast paced world of Information Technology.
The department hardware laboratory is equipped with educational tools to promote interest and better understanding of computer hardware and peripherals among the students. 8085/86 Microprocessor Trainer kits and 8033 Micro-controller kits etc., are used to provide hands-on experience to students in basic hardware. Embedded System Development Software and tools, Universal Robotics Trainer kits, Lego robots and other similar hardware items are provisioned to inculcate interest and familiarize the students with various software developmental models and test them.
The department has an exclusive library cum reading room for all members of the department which is equipped with more than 4000 books/CDs and journals like IEEE, ACM etc.
Open Interaction: The department encourages open interactions of students with all the faculty members and non-teaching staffs.
Individual work-space for each student: Each student, registered with the department, is provided with a cubicle and a computer.
24 × 7 × 365 access: All the facilities in the department are available for use 24 × 7 to its end users.
- 136-channel color logic analyzer with pattern generator.
- High-end waveform generator.
- Precision power supply.
- 500MHz 1Gs/s oscilloscope.
- 8085/86 Microprocessor Trainer kits and 8033 Micro-controller kits are used to provide hands on experience to learning students about basic hardware. These are supported by Colour Logic Analyzer and Pattern Generator, Function/Arbitrary wave generator, digital oscilloscopes, Wireless Transmitter/Receiver pairs, Data acquisition/Switch units, TDM pulse code modulator/transmitter and demodulator/receiver and other similar essentials.
- Embedded System Development Software, Chip Scope-Pro Software, Virtex-II Pro based Protoboard with FPGA, Virtex-5 Development Board with device XC5VLX50 and VIDEO ADC–DAC Add On Card, Universal Multi-vendor Kit with on board device XC3S400 PQ208C etc. under the VLSI laboratory in our department to inculcate student interest in VLSI design, test and verification and facilitating students to build prototype designs and test them.
- Universal Robotics Trainer kits and Lego robots including NXT Mindstrom Lego Education base set, Education Resource set, Education NXT Software product, Classroom Site License, Robotics Project, etc., are actively used by students interested in robotics. Students working on various projects have developed micro-controller controlled arms and robots and other similar hardware items.
- Campus wide WLAN Test bed.
- CROSSBOW Wireless Sensor Network Test bed.
- Tablet PCs for E-Classroom.
- Ultimate Builder Set and Ultimate Accessory Set.
- Bluetooth Application Toolkit.
- TINA software package for hardware laboratory.
Software Tools and Environment
- All Microsoft products with MSDNAA, which is the Microsoft Academic Alliance program and consists of a bundle of Microsoft Software for academic purposes. Development environments like MS Visual Studio, MS Visual Studio .NET, Visual Prolog, MS Office developer, etc. are actively used for development purposes by the department.
- IBM Rational Rose software development suite is used to familiarize the students with various software developmental models.
- Oracle RDBMS with Oracle products and Oracle Academic Initiative (OAI Membership license).
- Nachos, NS2, GlomoSim.
- PHIGS graphics library.
- Java compiler and applet viewer, C++ compilers and Lisp interpreters.
- Network Query Language (NQL) Workstation.
- Various distributions of Linux like Ubuntu, Fedora, Redhat, Open BSD, Open Solaris etc.
- Qualnet Network Simulator (Qualnet Research License with from support with Developer, Multimedia & Enterprise Library, Wireless Library, Advance Wireless (WIMAX Library, IEEE802.16E), Urban Propagation Library, Cellular Library, UMTS Library for both Linux and Windows environment.
- IBM Rational rhapsody developer authorized user license.
- Matlab (Concurent License: 5User N/W & Standalone License) with various toolbox like Genetic Algorithm and Direct search toolbox, Neural Network, Image Processing, Optimization, Symbolic Math, Statistical, Communication, Image Acquisition, Filter Design, Signal Processing, Wavelet, Fuzzy Logic, MATLAB Compiler, Simulink 3D Animation, Signal Processing Blockset, Communications Blockset, Video and Image Processing Blockset, etc.
- Solaris both SPARC and X86 versions etc.
- Embedded System Development Software, ISE Design Suite & ModelSIM Xilinx, Chip Scope-Pro Software, Virtex-II Pro based Protoboard with FPGA, Virtex-5 Development Board with device XC5VLX50 and VIDEO ADC–DAC Add On Card, Universal Multivendor Kit with on board device XC3S400 PQ208C etc. under VLSI laboratory in our department to inculcate student interest in VLSI design, test and verification and students in building prototype designs and to test them.
- Computerized speech lab.
- NI WSN Starter Kit with Lab View Software.
- Lab View full Developer System with Ni Developer Suite.
- Many multi-processor servers running Redhat Enterprise Linux, which includes a High Availability (HA) File Server Cluster implementation with central LDAP authentication and running on IBM eServer Intel Xeon / AMD Opteron based processors with Terabyte capacity central storage.
- HP Storage Works MSL5000 Series tape library is available for the departmental backup requirements.
- Desktop computers (business class machines with dual-core/quad-core & minimum 2GB RAM) are allotted to each enrolled student and are regularly upgraded (three years, on average) to the latest specification for best user experience and productivity.
- Centralized printing facility for enrolled students.
- Some of the recent equipment additions to the hardware laboratory are IBM eServer x232 Intel Pentium IV Server, Universal Robotics Training kit, Modulation/Transmitter Trainer kit, Data Formatting and carrier Modulation Transmitter Trainer, Carrier Modulation and Data Reformatting Receiver Trainer, Bluetooth Application Toolkit, Ultimate Builder Set and Ultimate Accessories Set, etc.