Pre-requisites : CS341
Study of major Operating System issues such as Memory Management, Process Management and Scheduling, File Systems, Networking by looking at the internals of actual systems such as Unix, Linux, NT etc. Issues in design of distributed operating systems. Selected case studies such as Amoeba, Chorus, Mach etc
1. B. Goodheart and J. Cox, The Magic Garden Explained: The Internals of Unix System V Release 4, Prentice Hall 1994.
2. M. K. McKusick et al., The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System, Addison Wesley, 1996.
3. U. Vahalia, Unix Internals: The New Frontiers, Prentice Hall, 1996.
4. P. K. Sinha, Distributed Operating Systems, Wiley-IEEE Press, 1996.
5. H. Custer, Inside Windows NT, 2nd Ed, Microsoft Press, 1998.
6. Selected papers and reports and source code.