Pre-requisites : NIL
Boolean Algebra Minimisation and realisation of switching circuits Basic building blocks of combinational circuits: Multiplexer, De-multiplexer, Encoder, Decoder, Adder, Subtracter Design of synchronous sequential circuits: Flip-flops, Registers, Counters, Finite State Machines, State tables and diagrams, Excitation functions of memory elements.Instruction sets with various addressing modes Memory organisation: ROM, Cache, Main Memory CPU design: ALU, Control unit design: hardwired and microprogrammed I/O transfer: Program controlled, Interrupt controlled and DMA.
1. M. Morris Mano, Digital Design, 3/e, Pearson Education, 2007.
2. William Stallings, Computer Organization and Architecture: Designing for Performance, 8/e, Pearson Education India. 2010.
1. A. P. Malvino, D. K. Leach and G. Saha, Digital Principles and Applications, 6/e, McGraw Hill, 2006.
2. V. C. Hamacher, Z. G. Vranesic and S. G. Zaky, Computer Organization, 5/e, McGraw Hill, 2002.
3. D. A. Patterson and J. L. Hennessy, Computer Organization and Design, 3/e, Morgan Kaufmann, 2006.
4. Barry B. Brey, The INTEL Microprocessors, 8/e, Prentice Hall, 2008.