Mr. Vijaya Kumar Bulasara
Title: Preparation and Characterization of Metal-Ceramic Composite Membranes with and without mass transfer enhanced electroless plating process
Abstract: Metal-ceramic composite membranes such as palladium-ceramic composite membranes have numerous applications in hydrogen separation and fuel cell technology. This work is dedicated towards the scale up and design issues of electroless plating process for large scale manufacture of metal-ceramic composite membranes. Rigorous experimentation was initiated using nickel metallic precursors to substantially reduce the cost of experimentation so as to obtain valuable physical insights into the process. Air permeation data has been exclusively used to identify optimal parametric choices that enable the simultaneous maximization of metal plating efficiency and pore densification. Various mass transfer techniques studied include stirring (membrane rotation) and sonication. The performance characteristics of two reducing agents namely hydrazine and sodium hypophosphite have been investigated to obtain valuable supporting data as well as insights into the metal plating process towards membrane development.
1. Bulasara V. K., Abhimanyu M.S., Pranav T., Uppaluri R., Purkait M. K. (2011). Performance characteristics of nickel-ceramic composite membranes fabricated with hydrothermal mass transfer coupled electroless plating baths. Desalination (Accepted).
2. Bulasara V. K., Mahesh Babu Ch. S. N., Uppaluri R. (2011). Effect of surfactants on the performance of electroless plating baths for nickel-ceramic composite membrane fabrication, Surface Engineering, 27(7), (DOI: 1179/1743294411Y.0000000035).
3. Bulasara V. K., Uppaluri R., Thakuria H. and Purkait M. K. (2011). Combinatorial performance characteristics of agitated nickel hypophosphite electroless plating baths, Journal of Material Process Technology, 211(9), 1488-1499.
4. Bulasara V. K., Uppaluri R., Thakuria H. and Purkait M. K. (2011). Nickel-ceramic composite membranes: Optimization of hydrazine based electroless plating process parameters, Desalination, 275(1-3), 243-251.
5. Bulasara V. K., Uppaluri R. and Purkait M. K. (2011). "Effect of Ultrasound on the performance of nickel hydrazine electroless plating baths", Materials and Manufacturing Processes, (Accepted).
6. Bulasara V. K., Uppaluri R. and Purkait M. K. (2011). "Manufacture of nickel-ceramic composite membranes in agitated electroless plating baths", Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 26(6), 862-869.
7. Bulasara V. K., Thakuria H., Uppaluri R. and Purkait M. K. (2011). "Effect of process parameters on electroless plating and nickel-ceramic composite membrane characteristics", Desalination, 268 (1-3), 195-203.