Title: Preparation and Characterization of Low Cost Ceramic Composite Membranes for Microfiltration and Ultrafiltration Applications
Co-supervisor: Dr. Mihir K. Purkait
Abstract: The thesis addressed the development of low cost ceramic composite membranes using inexpensive inorganic precursors such as kaolin, quartz, feldspar, sodium carbonate, calcium carbonate, boric acid and sodium metasilicate to obtain membranes with upper (547 - 810 nm) and lower (185 - 332 nm) submicron pore range ceramic membranes. The performance characteristics of these two membranes have been investigated for the treatment of oil-in-water emulsions and microfiltration of mosambi juice in dead end mode of operation. Finally, the work focused towards the preparation and characterization of polymer-ceramic composite membranes with an objective towards phenomenological modeling.
1. Nandi B. K., Uppaluri R. and Purkait M. K. (2010). Identification of optimal membrane morphological parameters during microfiltration of mosambi juice using low cost ceramic membranes, LWT - Food science and Technology, (In Press).
2. Nandi B. K., Das B., Uppaluri R. (2010). Clarification of Orange Juice using Ceramic Membrane and Evaluation of Fouling Mechanism, Journal of Food Process Engineering, (Accepted).
3. Nandi, B.., Das, B., Uppaluri, R., Purkait, M.K., (2009) "Microfiltration of Mosambi Juice using Low Cost Ceramic Membrane", Journal of Food Engineering, 95 (4), 597 - 605.
4. Nandi B. K., Uppaluri R., Purkait M. K. (2010). Microfiltration of stable oil-in-water emulsions using Kaolin based ceramic membrane and evaluation of fouling mechanism, Desalination and Water Treatment, (Accepted).
5. Nandi B. K., Das B., Uppaluri R., and Purkait M. K. (2010). Preparation and characterization of inexpensive submicron range inorganic microfiltration membranes, Membrane Water Treatment, (Accepted).
6. Nandi B. K., Ajith M., Uppaluri R. and Purkait M. K. (2010), Treatment of Oily Wastewater Using Low Cost Ceramic Membrane: Comparative Assessment of Pore Blocking and Artificial Neural Network Models, Chemical Engineering Research & Design (Accepted).
7. Nandi B., Uppaluri R. and Purkait M. K., (2009). Treatment of oily waste water using low cost ceramic membrane: Flux decline mechanism and economic feasibility, Separation Science and Technology, 44 (12), 2480 - 2869.
8. Nandi B., Uppaluri R. and Purkait M. K. (2009). Effects of dip coating parameters on the morphology and transport properties of cellulose acetate ceramic composite membranes, Journal of Membrane Science, 330, 246 - 258.