INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY GUWAHATI
DECEMBER 2018 SESSION ADMISSION TO PHD PROGRAMMES
Requirements for Institute Assistantship/ External Fellowship (Only for Regular & Full Time Category Candidates)
The Institute Assistantships/ External Fellowships are available only for Indian Nationals who are admitted under Regular & Full Time Category into PhD programmes.
The present rates of Institute assistantships are: JRF: Rs.25,000/- per month for first two years of PhD programme and SRF: Rs.28,000/- per month for next three years of PhD programme (that is, assistantship is only for a maximum of 60 months from the date of admission into PhD programme).
REQUIREMENT OF VALID GATE/ CEED/ NET/ INSPIRE:
All Regular and Full Time Category Candidates must satisfy one of the following criteria in addition to Eligibility Criteria related to Qualifying Degree.
1. B.E./ B.Tech./ B.Des. or equivalent with valid and qualifying GATE score (valid and qualifying CEED score for PhD in Design) above the prescribed cut-off level.
2. M.Sc. or equivalent with valid and qualifying GATE score above the prescribed cut-off level.
3. M.Sc. or equivalent with valid NET-JRF qualification.
4. M.A. in Humanities and Social Sciences Subjects or equivalent with valid NET qualification.
5. Qualified in any other National Level Examination for Research Fellowship for pursuing PhD and it should be valid for another 3 to 6 months from the Date of admission to PhD programme.
EXEMPTION FROM THE REQUIREMENT OF VALID GATE/ CEED/ NET/ INSPIRE:
A Regular and Full Time Category Candidates satisfying one of the following conditions is exempted from the requirement of valid GATE/ CEED/ NET/ INSPIRE, etc.:
1. Having M.E. / M.Tech./ M.Des. Degree or equivalent
2. Bachelors (B.Tech./ B.Des.) Degree from an Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) with a minimum CPI of 8.0
3. Masters (M.Sc./ M.A.) Degree from an Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) with a minimum CPI of 8.0
1. Assistantships/Fellowships from external funding organizations (e.g., CSIR/ UGC/ INSPIRE, etc) will be available as per terms and conditions of the concerned funding organizations.
2. Students receiving assistantships from the Institute or fellowships from any other funding agencies, are required to perform academic duties as per prevailing norms.
3. The continuation of the assistantship/ fellowship is subject to satisfactory performance of the assigned duties and satisfactory research progress of the student in the PhD Programme.