Foreign students holding foreign passports but with OCI or PIO cards, admitted to PG programs in IITG, the fees charged may be the same as applicable for normal foreign students. Any concession applicable to citizens of SAARC countries should also be available to them if they hold passports from any of the SAARC countries
Apply for Exchange Students:
GUIDELINES FOR INCOMING FOREIGN STUDENTS UNDER STUDENT EXCHANGE PROGRAMME (SEP)
A. Who can be accepted as visiting foreign student(s)?
Foreign students registered for a degree in a foreign Institute/University who is officially sponsored by that Institute/University to carry out Course work / Project work or Internship at IIT Guwahati for a period of not exceeding two semester can be accepted as visiting students under the MoU or otherwise. The foreign student should have passport and proper visa to visit IIT Guwahati.
B. Alumni Affairs and External Relations (AAER) is the initial processing section at IIT Guwahati, where applications (pl. see exchange related forms) are to be sent
AAER office may be the initial processing section. The completed application along with the required documents (mentioned below) is to be submitted to the following address.
Dean, Alumni Affairs and External RelationsIndian Institute of Technology GuwahatiGuwahati- 781039
To expedite initial processing, it would be desirable if an email copy is also sent firstname.lastname@example.org with a CC to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
C. Eligibility of the visiting exchange student(s)
D. Financial responsibility of the visiting foreign student(s)
- Student should be officially nominated by the university/ institute
- Nominated students student should have obtained minimum average grade/ CPI about 6.5 in the current/intended discipline (CGPA should be in the scale of 10)
- Student/s should not have any outstanding backlog.
- The nominated student/s has to spend at least one semester and maximum two semesters at IIT Guwahati (July-November/Odd semesters and January-April/ even semesters)
- Nominated student/s may undertake either project work and /or course work at IIT Guwahati as per the requirements of his/ her home institution and as allowed by IITG
- Courses of exchange semester may be negotiated between interested student & HoD of the concerned Department of IIT Guwahati through proper learning agreement.
- Student should have proper passport and health insurance for the period of stay at IIT Guwahati.
E. General Rules of SEP
- Students/s should have sufficient funds to cover his and her own travel and living expenses (except tuition fee) for the duration of their study at IIT Guwahati. IIT Guwahati do not charges any tuition fee and dormitory charges from exchange students visit from the Institutions/Universities having MOU with IIT Guwahati.
- If any foreign student would like to visit IIT Guwahati for exchange or otherwise mentioned above have from the non-MoU institutes/universities have to pay tuition and other obligatory charges as per Institute rules.
- Student would pay tuition fee and all other obligatory fees & charges at their home University/Institute. Tuition fees and all other associated charges will be correspondingly waived at the host University/Institute.
- Health Insurance cover of the exchange student/s is mandatory. However, outpatient facilities will be extended to the exchange students visiting IIT Guwahati along the lines of facilities provided to other IIT Guwahati students. However only OPD facilities will be provided to the exchange students.
F. Financial Obligations of the foreign exchange students
- Appropriate programme of study at the host university may accepted by both Institution/University.
- The courses & credits should be equivalent to both Institutions/University (see credit structure of IIT Guwahati under mobility info)
- In case of project work, there should be an explicit agreement between faculty project supervisors of both the Institute/University.
- HoD of the concerned Department of the home as well as host Institute/ University should approve the courses/project work to be undertaking in the host university.
- Credits earned at the host Institute/ University to be transfered to the home Institute/ University. In general 48 credits (7 theory courses) and (2 Lab courses) are allowed in one semester. There is no minimum credit limit.
- 5 to 6 passport photos
- Nomination letter from the concerned home university
- Medical fitness Certificate
Foreign exchange students need not to pay any tuition fees and dormitory charges. However they have
to pay the following expenses. IITG will provide OPD facilities to the foreign students.
G. Fee structure for foreign students from partner / non partner universities
- Travel and visa (student / Research Visa)
- Medical (Hospitalization etc.) / Health insurance.
- Personal & living expenses, including accommodation and food.
- Obligatory expenditure required in the country of the host university.
- Any other incidental expenses incurred.
H. Documents required for SEP
- No fees for course/ project work for partner universities
- USD 200 per course per Semester (course work)/USD 150 per course per month (50% fees will be paid by students from SAARC countries)
- 1. Two recommendation letters (from Supervisor & HoD) of the concerned Department.
- 2. A general CV of the student applying for the programme which should include grades obtained by him/her at home Institute/ University.
- 3. Academic transcripts (with explanation of assigned grades)
- 4. A Learning Agreement about the list of courses along with credits to be mentioned therein (in discussion with HOD of the concerned Department of IIT Guwahati) and the same may be signed by the appropriate authorities from home Institute.
- 5. A Statement of purpose (one page)
- 6. If the student would like to do project instead of course work. A brief plan of project work forwarded by guide/ supervisor of the home university to be undertaken at host Institute/ University.
. A letter/email from HOD of the concerned Department of the home university intimating the following information to the host university:
- Course structure of the current semester, whether all the courses have been successfully completed by the nominated student.
- Are there any backlog/ pending assignment/ projects and course work in the current.
- In case of course work, approval to transfer credits to Home university
- In case of any project, approval for part of the project to be done at IIT Guwahati
- In case of any backlog in the current semester.
Before Arriving at IITG:
1. Pre- Arrival check list
Have you obtained the appropriate Indian visa?
Have you obtained health insurance for the entire duration of your stay?
Have you ensured that you have enough finances to support yourself during your entire stay at IITG?
Have you contacted faculty members at IITG for their conscent and intimated the same to the office of External Relations at email@example.com?
You need to bring 10(Ten) passport size good quality colour photos with you
You need to bring International Debit card with you.
You will be provided a room meant for foreign students in the student's hostel on campus.
3. Health Insurance
Foreign students for full time course at IIT Guwahati provides medical support at par with the National students. Only minor illnesses can be treated at the Institute Medical, for the students visit for short -term/ Internship . Therefore it is advisable to carry an appropriate health insurance that covers the entire duration of your stay at IITG.
Pl. fill up Medical Form as required at our end...
4. How to get to IITG?
After Arriving at IITG:
1. Identity Card
With enhanced security measures in place, it is essential that you get an Institute identity card upon arrival. You need to bring 2 passport size photos to the IRC Office so that a letter to the Security Officer (requesting for ID card) can be given to you. With this letter, you can meet the Security Officer and obtain the ID card.
1. Foreigners Registration. Please click here to follow steps to register yourself and visa extension
2. Hostel and Mess Facility
Hostel and dining facilities will be provided to you once you pay the appropriate fees and deposits . The office of External Relations will guide you for this purpose.
3. Gymkhana Facilities
Access to the gymkhana, swimming pool etc may be provided without any fees and deposits.
4. Bank Accounts
It is advisable to open a Savings Bank account with one of the local Banks. Two banks have branches within campus: State Bank of India and Canara Bank.
VISA and VISA EXTENSION:
You need to apply for a student visa. Apply for your visa at the Indian Embassy/Consulate nearest to you with the admission letter and other necessary documents.
To know in details please click the link http://mha1.nic.in/foreigDiv/FAQs.html